Civic Youth Ensembles
Since its founding in 1970, the Detroit Symphony Orchestra's Civic Youth Ensembles (CYE) has grown to provide musicians of all ages a comprehensive music education experience. CYE’s mission is to cultivate every student's artistic and creative potential through rewarding musical experiences while developing meaningful skills outside the arts.
CYE consists of two full orchestras, four string orchestras, three wind ensembles, three jazz ensembles, and one choir (in partnership with the Detroit Children's Choir), as well as several chamber ensembles and jazz combos. Led by dedicated and masterful music directors, each ensemble offers a unique opportunity for students at all skill levels seeking musical experiences beyond the classroom. CYE even provides students the chance to perform at historic Orchestra Hall and learn from Detroit Symphony Orchestra musicians.
Financial aid is available for qualifying students.
Auditions for the 2023-2024 Civic Youth Ensembles Season are now OPEN! Please click placement auditions to view audition materials for your specific instrument.
View the 22-23 CYE Calendar.
CYE is proudly sponsored by the following funders:
- Ms Debra Bonde
- Robert & Lucinda Clement Fund for Music Education
- Jack. Evelyn, and Richard Cole Family Foundation
- Detroit Pistons
- Vera & Joseph Dresner Foundation
- The Fred A. & Barbara M. Erb Family Foundation Max M. & Marjorie S. Fisher Foundation Ford Foundation
- Ford Motor Company Fund
- Charles T. Harris & Laurie Lindemulder Harris
- David & Sheri Jaffa
- The Kellman Scholars
- Deborah Miesel Scholarship Endowment
- Craig & Shari Morgan
- Dr. Glenda D. Price
- Mr. & Mrs. David Provost
- The Bea and Harry Shapiro Fund for Keyboard Education Bill & Chris Shell
- Peter & Carol Walters
- Ilene Wenner & Shari Morgan Scholarship
- Paul Winger Scholarship
- Drs. David & Bernadine Wu
- Burton A. Zipser & Sandra D. Zipser Foundation