July 20-25, 2020
Join members of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra for the DSO Summer Institute July 20-25, 2020! At this full-scholarship online event, accepted applicants will work closely with DSO musicians in an array of virtual course offerings. Participants will learn about the career of an orchestral musician from auditioning, to receiving tenure, to mental and physical wellness, and much more. Online private lessons and masterclasses with DSO musicians will be at the heart of each participant’s schedule. Study groups, panel discussions, and watch parties of archived DSO performances will also occur. The week will conclude with a mock audition; repertoire lists will be provided upon acceptance to the program.
• This intensive is designed for college-level and pre-professional musicians ages 18 and up.
• The DSO is committed to diversifying classical music and encourages applications from people representing all ethnicities, gender identities, and sexual orientations.
• String, wind, brass, and harp applicants should submit a recording of the exposition of a standard concerto and 3-4 contrasting excerpts of the applicant’s choice.
• Percussionists should submit a recording including: One 2- or 4-mallet keyboard solo, one snare drum or timpani solo, and two standard excerpts each for snare drum, keyboard instruments, and timpani. We remain flexible in these challenging times; please submit what showcases your ability in as similar a manner to our guidelines as is feasible. Access to all instruments throughout the week is not a necessity for participation.
• Video recordings are preferred, but audio only will be accepted. Excerpts may be recorded separately, but not alterations of edits within an individual excerpt.
• Recordings should have been made within the last six months.
• Application deadline: June 19.
• Questions should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sample Weekly Schedule:
11:00 AM-12:00 PM:
MWF Group classes by instrument (technique, warm-up, reed class, etc.)
TuTh Optional Yoga with DSO Librarian Ethan Allen; and Tai Chi with DSO Bassoonist Marcus Schoon
Lessons (Participants can typically expect 2-3 lessons during the week)
Masterclasses (Participants can expect 2-3 masterclasses during the week with the option to audit other instruments’ masterclasses)
Panel discussions, seminars, watch parties, special events, etc.