DETROIT SYMPHONY YOUTH ORCHESTRA
The Detroit Symphony Youth Orchestra (DSYO) is Metro Detroit's premier pre-professional youth orchestra.
Highly selective in the audition process, these talented and driven student musicians perform demanding repertoire at the most advanced level. DSYO students rehearse on historic Orchestra Hall stage where they also perform during the season.
In addition to weekly rehearsals, DSYO students have opportunities to engage with and be mentored by DSO musicians through activities such as . . .
- Master classes with world-renowned guest artists and DSO musicians
- Side-by-Side rehearsals with DSO musicians
- Sectional coaching from DSO musicians
- Access to exclusive DSO Jazz, Classical, and Pops performances through the DSO's Soundcard program
Concert dates for the 2014-15 DSYO season:
Want to apply? Click here to get started!
Need 2015-16 audition excerpts? Click here!
Application for audition:
In order to audition for the Civic Youth Ensembes program and the Detroit Symphony Youth Orchestra, you must fill out the online application. You can find this application HERE. After you have filled out the application and we have received your application payment of $25 you will be given a scheduled audition time. Auditions are open to advanced students who study privately, actively particpate in their school music program (when offered), and are prepared to commit to the DSYO's rigorous rehearsal and concert schedule.
Auditions are held in 10-minute intervals and heard by DSYO faculty, DSO musicians, and CYE administraion.
Audition Requirements for the Detroit Symphony Youth Orchestra:
- Prepared orchestral excerts from the provided packet — available HERE
- An etde or solo work that best represents his/her technical and artistic playing abilities. The solo piece should be unaccompanied and no longer than 3 minutes in length.
- Two two-octave scales up to seven sharps/flats for wind and brass instruments (chosen by the judge); two three-octave major scales up to seven sharps/flats for string instruments (chosen by the judge).
If a musicians would like to audition for more than one instrument or for both the jazz and classical programs they must schedule separate audition times for each instrument/genre.
Questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org