Patron Development & Sales Coordinator
Play a key leadership role on the Patron Development and Sales team in determining where and how we can productively expand DSO’s reach and impact in the community. Builds a paid, subscription and single-ticket audience base for the DSO Neighborhood Initiative Program consisting of full orchestra and chamber orchestra subscription concerts across Southeastern Michigan. Spearhead audience development initiatives consistent with the goal of building a broader DSO ticket and donors base (patron). Oversee planning and implementation of the new, all-access student program, Soundcard as well as 37/11, the DSO’s new social and professional network for our next generation of patrons.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Implements and manages all neighborhood-based subscription direct marketing mail and media campaigns, from conceptual development through design, mailing and printing/talent
- Extensive, face-to-face networking in DSO Neighborhoods to develop new affiliation-based sales clients; maintains relationship with existing clients
- Achieves assigned revenue goals
- Develops and monitors neighborhood audience development, Soundcard and 37/11 budgets and invoice payment
- Works with the Patron Development and Sales team on list development and brokerage for direct mail leads; Director of Patron Engagement on servicing; Advancement Team to anticipate and integrate philanthropic agenda
- Participates in developing revenue projections and ticket pricing; soliciting support as appropriate
- Create an effective sales and marketing strategy for 37/11 and Soundcard, building relationships with area schools and teachers to promote and sell memberships.
- Assist with mailings, distribute and maintain fliers and brochures at Orchestra Hall and all off-site locations of DSO concerts
- Serve as manager on duty for selected concerts, recitals, or chamber community/neighborhood engagement events
- Performs other duties as assigned
Personal Attributes and Competencies
- Dynamic self-starter with entrepreneurial spirit who can think strategically, with imagination, and possesses a good sense of humor with the ability to challenge and inspire
- Action-oriented, decisive, quick study with proven ability to accurately analyze information and act
- Motivated to network socially and have a call and passion for building relationships with those in decision making positions
- High energy with a positive attitude and the ability to provide superior customer service
- Highly competitive and self-motivated with the ability to “make it happen;” personal “edge” reflecting passion and urgency
- Sensitive to the needs of individuals and utilizes their strong political skills to maneuver within organizational cultures
- Ability to work well under pressure; persistence, perseverance, tenacity, integrity and patience
- Strategist that is motivated by deadlines and measurable outcomes
Bachelor’s Degree and at least 2-4 years experience in a sales capacity in the performing arts. Advanced degree in Arts Administration or Business preferred. Knowledge of and familiarity with classical repertoire and popular programming required.
Strong writing, design and communications skills necessary. Must demonstrate initiative, strong problem resolution and organizational skills, excellent management ability and be able to participate successfully in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment. Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite. Familiarity with Tessitura ticket software, a plus.
Primary Reporting Responsibility: Patron Development and Sales Manager
Secondary Reporting Relationships: Director of Patron Development and Sales Manager; Executive Vice President; and Managing Director of Community Programs
Qualified candidates should submit a resume with cover letter to Jobs@dso.org.
All resumes are acknowledged with postcard or email upon receipt. No phone calls, please. The Detroit Symphony Orchestra is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values and encourages a diverse workforce.