After two years of symphonic silence (1949-51), John B. Ford brought Paul Paray to Detroit to lead the orchestra's resurgence. Acclaimed in his native France, Paray proved to be the perfect choice as music director. Before long, the orchestra was back in the recording studio (which, ironically, was mainly Orchestra Hall, still prized for its remarkable sound), producing award-winning work for Mercury Records. The national radio broadcasts also resumed and a full slate of concerts was scheduled. In 1956, Paray took the DSO from Masonic Auditorium to Ford Auditorium – its new home.